What can I use for sensory bin fillers?
Ever since my post about How Sensory Bins can Make Your Child Smarter, I’ve been itching to do more sensory bins with Smiley Man. Unfortunately for me, I ran out of ideas for sensory bin fillers (also called sensory bin bases). Soooooo, I brainstormed and came up with some pretty awesome ideas for sensory bin fillers, if I do say so myself. Read on for my ideas.
I’ve made two lists for you. The first is sensory bin fillers from around the house. You probably already have most of the things on this list, so this is a great place to start right now. I have already used all of these ideas multiple times. Click on the links to see how I used them. The second list has unique sensory bin fillers. I’ve used some of these fillers, but not most of them. This is a great place to go if you’ve already used up the most common sensory bin ideas.
Sensory Bin Fillers from Around the House
- Dry Beans (Letter A Sensory Bin, 4th of July Sensory Bin)
- Dry Pasta or Rice (Color Sensory Bins, St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bins)
- Shredded Paper (Christmas Sensory Bin, 4th of July Sensory Bin, Letter D Sensory Bin, St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bins)
- Colored Salt (Colored Salt Sensory Bin, Letter J Sensory Bin, St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bins)
- Cotton Balls (Letter B Sensory Bin)
Unique Sensory Bin Fillers
- Aquarium Rocks (Letter E Sensory Bin, How to Use Sensory Bins)
- Waterbeads (St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bins)
- Bird Seed
- Cloud Dough
- River Rocks
- Pompoms (Letter G Sensory Bin)
- Bead Necklaces cut in small pieces
- Oatmeal (Letter F Sensory Bin, Find the Hearts Tot Tray)
If you aren’t sure what kind of a container to put your sensory bin fillers in, here are some ideas of things you can use for a sensory bin.
Sensory Bin Ideas
- Old Diaper Wipes Container
- Clear Plastic Shoebox
- Large Food Storage Container (this is what I use)
- IKEA Trofast Drawer
- Kiddie Pool (this is more to contain the mess, than to be an actual sensory bin)
- Old Shoebox
- Salad Bowl
Hopefully these ideas are useful! Sign up for my newsletter for even more great ideas!